Friday, January 9, 2009

Tour of HK

What a day!

All the international students met this morning at 9:15, boarded 3 busses, and headed to Wong Tai Sin Temple. We were told that many people go to the temple twice a year, once to ask the gods for something, and once to thank the gods for granting their requests. There were people carrying incense above their heads, and kneeling in the temple. My friend Kelly and I were a bit concerned that someone was going to light our hair on fire, but that crisis was averted thank goodness.

Next, we went to the jade market, which was really neat. I bought a bracelet for about $5 US after practicing my bartering skills. It was crazy seeing rows and rows of booths selling jade products. Everybody was ready to sell something, and sharing the price on their calculators. It kind of caught me off guard when one guy just said hi and sat there. I wanted to buy something from him, but I’d already made my purchase.

We left the jade market and headed to the peak, which was quite a view. I will most certainly be going back to the peak for an evening view sometime. (not alone--don’t worry =) It’s so nice being in HK for a few months, because I don’t feel rushed to get all the sightseeing packed into a week. After snapping a bunch of photos we were off to Aberdeen, to take the restaurant shuttle boat over to the Jumbo Floating Restaurant for Dim Sum. I believe this is the largest floating restaurant in the world. It was amazing on the outside AND inside. Again, I want to see this place at night.

After this, we went to Repulse bay and walked on the beach for a bit. I snapped a photo of Jacky Chan’s house on the side of a mountain! The last stop was Stanley Market, a must for tourists. I got a red and gold Pashmina (scarf) and a change purse for the mass amounts of change that seems to be accumulating in my bag. My friend Ao Siqiao from Mainland China wanted an English name, so Kelly and Brendan suggested Austin and it stuck.

I’m gonna call it a day on the blogging, because this is getting rather lengthy!

Oh, tricked you, I have one more thing to share! So, supper tonight was interesting. Liana and I ordered food, and I picked fish filet or something similar to that. Little did I know I would get A FISH-scales and all. We could not stop laughing because Herb (the fish) was staring at her across the table. This required the use of a fork rather than chopsticks, but he was pretty tasty! Ok then, that is all!

Photos uploaded in reverse order...Bay by Stanley Market, a few of us at the Jumbo Floating Restaurant, Shuttle boat, View from the peak (note the IFC2 where batman appeaered), and Wong Tai Sin Temple!





No comments: