Monday, January 19, 2009

Labels

My brother inquired about a photo I took of some citrus fruit on Llama Island, and I didn’t know what it was. Well, at the store I saw a package of them (labeled Kam Quat) for sale. I figured I would try it for $11.3…and before you think I am an extravagant spender, remember this is HK$. It’s equivalent to about $1.46 US after conversion. I still have sticker shock--$100?!! Oh, that’s about 13 bucks.

The interesting thing is that a friend told me to eat the peel. Apparently, it is so thin that it doesn’t have that strong taste like an orange peel. After washing the fruit in water we are allowed to brush our teeth with (but are advised not to drink) I gave it a try. I can affirm that eating the entire thing is pretty good. As far as the water situation goes, there is a purifier in the lounge on each floor—so I’m set for liquidation.

On a different note, I learned today in International Business that Coca-Cola translates in Mandarin into two symbols, which mean “delicious” and “makes you happy.” The sound is roughly ho-how, ho-low. This was a fantastic brand name to choose and a great marketing scheme when created. Most brands get lost in translation.



4 comments:

jordan hart said...

hey i's gots an idea for you too add a clock to your blog??? sound good eh'??

well here is how...
--Edit Layout>>
--Add Gadget>>
then far left
--Most Poplular>>
--World Clocks>>
should be able to pop in a hong kong clock and even a home one if so desired

Whitney said...

Great idea...whadaya think?

Sarah Simon said...

Just wanted to say thanks for your blog - the kids and I are enjoying them and its a great teaching tool to show the kids another culture. Sebastian would love the fruit that he can eat all of - seeing as he tends to eat the whole apple (core and all) if I don't catch him in time!

Ron Hart said...

Hey, nice world clocks that you have added!