Friday, January 23, 2009

The museum and the black hole

There are no classes this coming week due to the Chinese New Year holidays! I’m hoping to do a bit of traveling and go on day trips to Macau, Lantao Island, and maybe Ocean Park to see the pandas!

Today marked my first museum visit in HK. The Hong Kong Museum of Art had collections of Chinese fine art, Chinese antiquities, Contemporary Hong Kong art, and a gallery of Chinese painting and calligraphy. After getting in for the student price of about 3 US quarters, Liana and I headed to the fourth floor and worked our way down. It was interesting to see things from the Tang, Qing, and Shang dynasties. This art museum was very different from ones I have been to in the past. There were no impressionistic paintings and no Mark Rothko or Picasso to be seen. We enjoyed soaking up this different sort of history and culture.

I must admit we weren't all that thrilled by some of the modern art. Sometimes, it takes a special kind of person to really appreciate strange sculptures, and a dark room with eerie music and a film of a tiger walking around on all four walls. Oh goodness. There was one room in the modern art exhibit that really struck me though. The walls, floor, and ceiling were white, and there was a bit of a “black light” glow in the room. The only thing on a wall was at the far end, and was a dark tunnel looking sculpture that extended inward past the wall, ending in a small dark hole. I felt like it was sucking me in--a rather strange feeling. Plus I wanted to stick my hand in the hole; I wonder if any museum patrons have tried.

Check this out--I am getting technologically savvy and putting titles right by the photos =)


The Museum-go figure..


A street view-notice the 7-eleven, they are everywhere!


Decorations for the Chinese New Year

6 comments:

Ron Hart said...

These posts are REALLY great.
Many people are reading them - even if they don't leave a comment.

You might also have a second career as a travel writer. You're as good as Bill Bryson - really.

Whitney said...

Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying them! As you can tell by all the blogging, I have a bit more time on my hands than I anticipated!

Mary said...

You are certainly making the most of your Hong Kong experience. I love all of the "travelogues". Thanks for posting often!!

Anonymous said...

Whitney,
You are doing such different things in Hong Kong. Keep blogging and we will keep reading. It will be fun to hear how they celebrate the new year.
Candy

Suzanne Ally said...

Whitney,
I LOVE following your adventures! Thank you so much for allowing me to vicariously travel alongside you, enjoying the fun and yet not having to suffer the discomforts of travel!
God Bless you!
Love
suzy

Whitney said...

hahaha..I am happy to oblige Sis. Suzy =)