Saturday, January 17, 2009

Symphony of Lights

Last night, I went with a few friends to the Avenue of The Stars promenade, on the Tsim Sha Tsui waterfront. At 8:00 PM every night, there is a laser light show across Victoria harbor called Symphony of the Lights. I really enjoyed being by the water, seeing the twinkling lights on the buildings, and watching the show. Plus, we stopped and got coffee, which is always delicious.

This morning, I got up at 8, packed a lunch, and got on a bus with a group to Central, where a boat took us to Llama Island. Don’t get my wrong, I love roller coasters, but the rocking of the boat from side to side messed with my equilibrium. I was feeling a bit nauseous, but was soon distracted by the beauty around me, and feeling better. We perched on some rocks near the water for a while, and then hiked over to the south side of the Island. It was only about 50 minutes of hiking, and the views out over the water were simply breathtaking. God sure has a knack for beauty.

It was nice to see a different side of Hong Kong today; there are a lot of “faces” to experience. I’m referring to things such as the college campus, crowded and busy city streets, the fancy upscale malls, the financial and business district, AND the nature. I’m assuming you know me if you are reading this, so you’ll know that the crazy “nightlife” is not on my list.

On a different note, I am excited to learn how to knit mittens. I can follow patterns with crochet, and knit pretty basic stitches, but mittens?? That’s for the pros. Fortunately, Liana is just that. We went to a shop on the 14th floor of a building the other day, and there were rows of “ceiling to floor” shelves of yarn. My Grandma would love this store. I have purple yarn sitting on my desk, just waiting to fulfill it’s calling.

Lets see, the photos include Llama Island, the symphony of lights, and the yarn store.





1 comment:

Mary said...

Whitney, I am in awe of your experiences! What a great adventure you're having. Thanks for your frequent blogs, I look forward to them!