Sunday, December 7, 2008

The opposite of oblivion

Well, I was recently consumed by a project, but I came out alive! After 3.5 months letting this “work” loom over me in the most odious of ways, I was dreading it. Then, I finally got started and three nights later, the project was basically done. Simple really. Funny thing is, in a few days span my thoughts went from dread to satisfaction. This applies to all those things in life that get put off for days and weeks, which is way worse than just diving in and getting it over with. The little thing (marketing plan) is up on a pedestal in my mind now. Or maybe it’s more of a proud momma kind of feeling. Regardless, it’s done, and I can move on to other things. For instance, studying for exams…

I was thinking today about the way to deal with stress. When there is something pressing that needs done I first vacuum, wash dishes, start laundry, take out the trash and recycling, and make coffee. Keep in mind all of this can be done in about five minutes. The vacuuming is a relatively small rectangle, the dishes are basically “the dish,” laundry is on the first floor, the trash is a short walk outside, recycling is right down the hall, and coffee is “voilà.” Now, after I have created this atmosphere, my mind is ready to work. You could also argue that I have run out of productive ways to procrastinate. Sounds pretty good though, huh?

I thought I had it down, but it seems that I can only control the stress so much. If life is crazy or full of change (e.g.-now!) it takes me at least an hour to fall asleep. I can think about everything under the sun except drifting into oblivion, and then I look at my watch and the hour is way into the single digits. Hmm..wish I was more like my roommate--she can fall asleep while still holding a book in her hands!

One last thing--A dog named faith Ooohh what an inspiration.

1 comment:

Ron Hart said...

Nice picture of Shingy