Saturday, January 10, 2009

First day on the MTR

Today was really fun. Liana and I (we are pals now) ventured out into the city in search of power adapters. She had researched a place on HK Island that sells a bunch of computer/technology type stuff, and let me tell you, there was a bunch! We hopped on the MTR after hesitating because it looked full. Well, let me tell you (again), it was not full yet. After us, at least 5 more people jammed in. I felt like a sardine. Fortunately, we were off soon to transfer to another line. I have decided that underground transportation systems are the niftiest thing ever. Whoever engineered the first one was a genius.

After purchasing a second adapter, we went to Kowloon, where we stumbled upon a beautiful park in the city. There was a man wading around in the pond, and fishing leaves into his net. It looked like a fun job.

Classes start on Monday, so I am sure these posts are going to appear less frequently. I’m only adding one class in the drop/add period, which will bring me to a total of 12 credit hours. I had hoped for 15, but it will be nice to feel less stress while in such an incredible location. (Yes, I could add a random class; No, I don’t want to). Most accounting classes here are too “China specific” it seems. This means that my final semester will consist of 18 hours, 12 of which are accounting classes. I suppose it will be neat to see all of the subject matter run together. I’m trying to think positive here. Maybe I will sleep on my textbooks and hope for some osmosis.

Anyhow, I am going to call it a night. There are no textbooks yet!

Photos include Kowloon Park, a city street(can't remember which one), and the Wan Chai MTR station.



4 comments:

Ron Hart said...

Wish I was there for sure!!

Tim said...

I'm enjoying you posts and pictures. It sure looks pretty, but very busy there.
Bro. Tim

Luke said...

Looks amazing.

Do their subways have glass doors protecting the tracks? I've never seen that before! When I was in Boston it was possible to fall right down.

Whitney said...

Yes, I think the glass doors are everywhere..now I can't remember. I will get back to you on that..haha